Aging with comfort is important, but sometimes you need a little help with medical expenses. This is especially true if you have a chronic health condition. Fortunately, Medicaid in Philadelphia is available to those who need assistance with medical expenses. So, let’s look at what Medicaid (Medical Assistance) is, who is eligible, and how to apply.
What Is Medicaid?
Medical Assistance, or Medicaid, is a program that pays for health care and mental health services for eligible individuals. Medicaid is funded jointly by the federal government and states and is meant to provide those with low income or have special needs with the medical coverage they need.
Who Is Eligible for Medicaid in Philadelphia?
In Philadelphia, Medicaid or Medical Assistance eligibility is grouped two ways:
Modified Adjusted Gross Income (MAGI)
- Pregnant women
- Children 18 and under
- Parents and caregivers of children under 21
- Adults 19-64 whose income is at or below 133% of the Federal Income Poverty Guidelines
- Family planning services
- Individuals 65 and older
- Individuals who are blind and/or disabled
- Medical Assistance Workers with Disabilities
- Individuals receiving long-term care or home and community-based services
What Income is Counted Towards Eligibility?
Generally, the following income is taken into consideration when determining Medical Assistance eligibility,
- Social Security
- Veterans’ Benefits (except for MAGI MA)
- Spouse’s income if living with them
Different groups may have different income requirements. At AmeriBest, we can educate you on requirements based on your specific situation.
How Do You Apply for Medicaid in Philadelphia?
The Department of Human Services provides multiple ways for Philadelphia residents to apply for Medical Assistance. This allows you to choose the method that best meets your needs. If you don’t know if you’re eligible, you can still apply:
- Online using the COMPASS
- By calling 1-866-550-4355 to apply online
- In person at your local county assistance office (CAO)
- By downloading or picking up a paper application from your local CAO and mailing it to them when you complete the application.
Do You Need Medical Assistance (Medicaid)?
At AmeriBest Home Care, we want to empower you to choose the right care for you or your loved one. Whether you’re caring for elderly parents or someone with a disability, it’s important to consider your options carefully. Contact us today to discuss your options with one of our program coordinators. We can educate you on eligibility requirements and guide you through the application process.